Burton and Ashby Light Railway
Map of the Burton Corporation Tramways and the Burton and Ashby Light Railway
Locale Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Burton upon Trent, England
Electric era: 1906–1927
Operator(s) Midland Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway
3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)
Propulsion system(s) Electricity (diesel generation)
The Burton and Ashby Light Railway was a tramway system operating between Burton upon Trent and Ashby de la Zouche between 1906 and 1927.
Remains of the tram track at Ashby de la Zouche Railway Station
The tramway opened on 2 July 1906 and was operated by the Midland Railway. The system used the tracks of the Burton upon Trent Corporation Tramways from a terminus by the Town Hall in Wellington Street through Station Street, Borough Road and Guild Street before using its own infrastructure through Swadlincote to Ashby de la Zouche. There was a branch from Swadlincote and Woodville to Gresley railway station at Church Gresley which opened on 24 September 1906.collectionsonline.nmsi.ac.uk
The journey time from Ashby de la Zouche to the terminus in Burton on Trent was a minimum of 64 minutes and a 10 minute interval service was offered, requiring 17 vehicles.
One unusual feature of the line was the Swadlincote power house which was fitted with two 240 bhp diesel engines, rather than the more traditional steam power. The adjacent depot could accommodate a total of 24 trams but the company only ever owned 20.
The Brush Electric Company of Loughborough provided the open top tramcars. Each had two 25 h.p. Westinghouse 80 motors and capacity for 51 passengers. The livery was Crimson Lake and white with a Midland crest. When the company was taken over by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923, the cars were repainted.
The system was taken over by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway company when it absorbed the Midland Railway in 1923, and the system was closed on 19 February 1927.
At closure, 3 cars were sold to the Tynemouth and District Electric Traction Company and the remaining 10 sold locally for domestic or rural use.
Car No 11 was eventually transported to Detroit where it operated on a heritage trolley line from 1976 until closure in 2003. It is believed to be in storage at a Detroit Department of Transportation facility as of 2012.Tram at Stanhope Bretby, 1913