Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1879 W.Kirtley 0-6-0T
Illustration: a group of three of them in 1935.
Ten shunting engines constructed by W.Kirtley between 1879 and 1893 at Longhedge Works. They spent most of their working life in the London area at Longhedge shed, but during the First World War they all went over to Boulogne for shunting there at one period or another, although not all at the same time.
Originally LCDR Nos. 141-50, they became SECR 600-9 at the 1899 amalgamation, and in due course SR A600-9 at the grouping. Nos. 601/5/6/9 were scrapped between 1932 and 1936 and the others, except A607, became 1600, 1602-4 and 1608, No. A607 was transferred to the service list as No. 500S, and sent to work in Meldon Quarries, near Oakhampton, and lasted until1950. Nos. 1600 and 1608 were sold to collieries in the north of England in 1936, and No. 1603 was scrapped in the same year. The remaining two survived Nationalisation, No.1602 being cut up in 1951 and No. 31604, renumbered as such, in 1950.
The last survivor of all, however, was No. 1600, which had gone to the Haydock Collieries, Lancashire, where it was in service until 1958.
Driving wheels – 4’ 6”, Cylinders – 17½”x 24”, Pressure – 160 lb., Tractive effort – 18510 lb., Weight – 40 tons 15 cwt.
NºA607 (LC&DR Nº148) in unlined SR Black and retaining the brass bunker side plate bearing the legend “SE&CR” fitted by that company when these engines were in ‘austerity’ grey. This loco would become Meldon Quarry shunter Nº500S in 1938. Photograph: Steve Roffey collection semgonline.com