Another one for the Summer
Saltburn Miniature Railway
Runs from Cat Nab Station by the beach for about 1/2 mile inland to Forest Halt, where there is a woodland walk and gardens © Copyright hayley green and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
© Copyright Michael Steele and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The railway opened in 1947 as a tourist attraction. It was originally a simple out-and-back line with a station at each end. During 1953 the line was adapted to allow the simultaneous operation of two trains, though without the provision of a passing loop. Instead, a single siding was provided into which one train had to reverse to allow the other to pass by.
During the 1980s the operation of the railway was taken over by an Association of supporters, all of whom are volunteers. A decision was made to extend the railway, relocate one terminus completely, and provide new sidings and engine sheds. This major project, known on the railway as ‘The Big Transformation’ took place between September 2000 and April 2003.Miniature railway shed, for miniature railway, Saltburn-by-the-Sea
© Copyright hayley green and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The line runs north from Cat Nab Station (by the beach) for about ½ mile inland to Forest Halt, where there is a woodland walk and gardens. There is a run around loop at each end of the line and an engine and rolling stock depot near the mid point.Flickr The 15in gauge Saltburn Miniature Railway was well-known in being owned and run by the local bus company, Saltburn Motor Services. it passed to Cleveland Transit on take-over in 1974, but is now run by volunteers.
‘Prince Charles’ is a 4.6.2DE, built by H N Barlow of Southport in 1953 and was obviously inspired by the Gresley A4 Pacifics. Seen at Cat Nab station in June 1996.