Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1873 – Stroudley’s D1 0-4-2T
London, Brighton & South Coast Railway
Stroudley’s standard suburban and branch tank engine, 125 of which were built between 1873 and 1887. Numbered 1-34, 221-99 and 351-62, they bore names of villages and localities served by the old Brighton railway, but these were all removed by Marsh from 1905 onwards, when the gay yellow livery was at the same time replaced by the more sombre chocolate.
They were grand little engines, and could be seen as late as the 1920s still taking their share on those sections of the busy London suburban service not then electrified. In later years most of the survivors were adapted to motor working with pull-and-push trains for the country areas.
Nine of the original1-34 series and also No. 263 were scrapped between 1904 and 1913, but no more withdrawals took place until the grouping in 1923, and even then most of them survived for a number of years and had 2000 added to their numbers by the SR. By this time all the remainder of the first batch had been renumbered, mostly into the 600s, and in some cases they were altered more than once. Eighteen still remained in 1948 to be absorbed into BR stock, but they did not survive much longer and none acquired a BR 30000 number.
The last to remain in service on the SR was Np.2252, withdrawn in September 1950, but the last survivor of all was old 357 Riddlesdown, which in 1947 had been sold to the privately owned Whittingham Mental Asylum Railway in Lancashire, on which line it existed until closure in 1957.
During the war a few of them were loaned to the LMS in Scotland, far from their normal haunts; in fact one even reached the now closed Wick & Lybster branch, the rail point most remote from the south on the whole British railway network. During the same period others were fitted by the SR for fire fighting as an air raid precaution and kept at various important sheds in the London area.
In their later days the types of boiler and chimney carried varied considerably, and most of the more recent survivors had acquired plain cast iron chimneys with Ramsbottom safety valves on the firebox. In 1920 old 20 Carshalton, then renumbered 79 and which later successively bore the numbers 79A, 349, and finally216, was rebuilt with a much larger boiler and reclassified D1x, but no more were similarly treated. This engine lasted until 1934. The only other alteration of note was to No.248, formerly Ashurst, which was badly damaged in a collision in 1920 and emerged from the shops with new square topped side tanks.
Class D1 – Driving wheels – 5’ 6”, Trailing wheels – 4’ 6”, Cylinders – 17”x 24”, Boiler diameter – 4’ 0”, Pressure – 170 lb (originally 140 lb and later 150 lb), Tractive effort – 15185 lb, Weight – 43½ tons
Class D1x (No.216) – Driving wheels – 5’ 6”, Trailing wheels – 4’ 6”, Cylinders – 17”x 24”. Boiler diameter – 4’ 6”, Pressure – 170 lb Weight – 44tons 18 cwt
248 Class D1 with modified tanks