Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1866 – London Chatham & Dover Railway – 0-4-2T
A class of fourteen engines built by Neilson & Co. in 1866 during the superintendency of W.Martley. The design, however, was by Archibald Sturrock of the Great Northern, which line had also twenty similar locomotives. Both railways’ engines were built for working the through services between the two lines from Hatfield to Herne Hill via the Metropolitan Railway.
The LCDR engines were numbered 81-94, and for some reason, possibly on account of their having been built in Glasgow, were given Scottish names, Iona, Staffa, Clyde, Spey, and so on. These, however, were all later removed. The engines gave good service for many years, and some lasted to be absorbed into SECR stock at the 1899 amalgamation with the South Eastern. They had 459 added to their numbers and they were scrapped during the early 1900s. They were built with ‘haystack’ fireboxes, but were rebuilt with flat topped boilers in later years.