Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1864 – 4-4-0Ts – Metropolitan & District Railways
Both the metropolitan and the District Railways adopted this type of engine for general use, the District in fact exclusively, and it remained the standard locomotive for working on the Inner Circle and other underground sections of the line until electrification in 1905. The design of the locomotives must be credited to the builders, Beyer Peacock & Co. In addition to the 66 supplied to the Metropolitan between 1871 and 1886, the LNWR, Midland and LSWR had 28 between them, and five others went to the Rhenish Railway in Germany. The Metropolitan and District engines were fitted with condensing apparatus for tunnel working.
District Railway Loco 25 – ltmcollection.org
When the lines were electrified most of the engines were naturally rendered redundant, but the Metropolitan still found use for some of them on its country extensions. Many, however, were scrapped or sold out of service. The District retained only two for departmental use, and one of these remained in service until 1932.
A number of the Metropolitan engines were sold, some to collieries, one to the Somerset Mineral Railway, and five to the Cambrian, who later rebuilt them as 4-4-0 tender engines. In 1934, when the Metropolitan became merged into London Passenger transport Board, they still had Nos. 23, 27, 41 and 49 in service, one of these being in use a week at a time on the Brill branch, which was closed in 1936. The last to remain was No.23 which became No. L45 in London Transport stock, and since withdrawal in 1948 this has been preserved at Neasden.
Pic: The last surviving District engine at Lillie Bridge in 1926, then still largely in its original condition.