Built by Hunslet Engine Co., Leeds in 1953, their works number 3783, the loco is a late example of the manufacturers 16 inch inside cylindered, six-coupled saddle tank with the tank not extending over the smokebox. The design pre-dates the rather better known Austerity type from Hunslet.
Darfield No.1, together with a sister, No.2 was supplied new to Darfield Colliery, Wombwell, South Yorkshire. The colliery situated half a mile north west of Wombwell Station on the BR (ex LNER) line.
For the period July 1955 to 1959 No.1 was transferred away to Houghton Main Colliery, Little Houghton. On return to Darfield No.1 worked until sold into preservation in late 1974, initially to a private site in Delph, Lancashire before seeing use on the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embsay. A move to the Llangollen Railway followed and No.1 sees occasional use there as well as being hired out to other preserved railways, most recently a return to a former home at Embsay. Arrival on hire to Chasewater took place 29-7-2011.
Locally there were three similar locos based at Holly Bank Colliery, Essington before transfer to Littleton, with one of the three later moving on to Granville Colliery near Oakengates, Shropshire.
Darfield No.1 weighs 38 tons in working order.In the engine shed at Chasewater Railway