Dolgoch – The engine as running in 1948 – H.C.Casserley
This 0-4-0 well tank engine was built by Fletcher Jennings & Co. in 1866, and together with a second locomotive, an 0-4-2ST worked the whole of the traffic for a period of some 87 years until 1951, when the little line, then threatened with extinction, was taken over by the Tal-y-llyn Preservation Society, since when other engines have been added to the stock.This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
No.1 Dolgoch has been little altered during its long life, and although at the time of writing (c1959) it has been out of commission for some time awaiting heavy repair, it is intended that it shall run again, and it will be doubtless in service on its hundredth birthday, when it will become one of the very few engines in this country to attain its centenary as a working locomotive.
“Dolgoch” returned to service in late 1999 after a major overhaul involving firebox repairs and an extensive mechanical overhaul; as part of the overhaul it has been fitted with air braking equipment, the last steam loco to be so fitted.
For a time around the Boer War it was known as ‘Pretoria’ but it has now reverted to its original name, ‘Dolgoch’.
Gauge of railway – 2’ 3”, Driving wheels – 2’ 3”, Cylinders – 8” x 15”, Pressure – 70lbs, Weight – 8½ tons.One of the Talyllyn Railway engines ‘Dolgoch’ on its way to Nant-Gwernol station. Artist: G.S.Cooper