Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era
1882 – London & South Western Railway
30582 – P.B.Whitehouse
Seventy one of these engines were constructed by W.Adams between 1882 and 1885 for suburban work in the London area. They were built by Beyer Peacock & Co., Robert Stephenson & Co., Dubs & Co., and Neilson & Co.
The 1884 and 1885 series were slightly larger than the original thirty engines, their water capacity being increased from 1,000 gallons to 1,200 gallons. The original series was completely devoid of side water tanks, the water being carried partly in a well tank and partly in the bunker below the coal. Even in the later engines only very small side tanks were provided over the rear driving wheels. Nearly all were gradually relegated to the duplicate list as 0415, etc., although a few of the last built, such as No.523, were scrapped before being duplicated. Large numbers were taken out of service in 1916 when electrification of the LSWR suburban service began, but owing to war conditions they were not broken up and remained in Eastleigh yard in varying stages of decay for several years. No.0424 went to the Government in 1916 for war service and No.0488 was also sold out of service, being later acquired by the East Kent Railway in 1919 as their No.5.30584 Ivo Peters
By 1928 only two remained in possession of the Southern railway, namely Nos. 0125 and 0520. These were specially retained for working the Lyme Regis branch, which abounds in sharp curves, and for which, even till 1959, no other engines had been found as suitable as these old-timers, with their flexible wheelbases, although other types had been tried. I course of time it was found that two engines were hardly adequate for maintaining the service, as if one was away in shops it left only one to carry on, with no spare in case of breakdown. Fortunately the East Kent engine was still in existence and the Southern were able to buy it back in 1946, when it was restored to the fold under its original number increased by 3000, as 3488 (0125 and 0520 having in the meantime become 3125 and 1520).
One or two of the class were fitted with Drummond boilers in later LSWR days, and there are at present four boilers – two Drummond and two Adams – in use (1959), which are changed from time to time among the three surviving engines.
On Nationalisation in 1948 the three engines became BR 30582-4 and late in 1959 still continued to work the Lyme Regis branch turn about a week at a time, the other two being kept in Exmouth Junction shed. Probably their days are numbered, as no doubt eventually diesel railcars will take on the working of the branch.No.0422, one of the earlier engines, as running in 1922, the only alteration being the provision of a Drummond chimney in place of the Adams stove-pipe. H.C.Casserley
Dimensions: Driving wheels – 5’ 7”, Bogie wheels – 3’ 0”, Trailing wheels – 3’ 0” (3’ 6” on the later 1884-5 engines), Cylinders – 17½”x 24”, Pressure – 160 lbs., Tractive effort – 14920 lbs., LSWR and SR classification – K, BR classification – 1P 30583 John Bradbeer semgonline.com