Great Western Railway
2563 as running about 1900. In later years they received Belpaire fireboxes and superheaters. H.C.Casserley
William Dean’s standard goods engine for the GWR, totalling 280 engines, built between 1883 and 1899, and numbered 2301-2580. Nos. 2361-80, built in 1885 and 1886, differed from the others in having double frames.
The class proved to be a very efficient one, and the later survivors continued to put in much useful work, the last one to remain in service not being withdrawn until 1957. Between 1907 and 1910 Nos. 2491-2510 were rather oddly rebuilt as 2-6-2T engines, becoming Nos. 3901-20 (although not in the same order). These were all withdrawn between 1931 and 1934.2532 Dean Goods No.2532 heads a Lambourn to Newbury train in the summer of 1947. J.F.Russell-Smith
In 1917, 62 engines were taken over by the Railway Operating Division and sent to France. 46 of these engines returned to England in the early summer of 1919, but the other 16 had been sent on to Salonika at the beginning of 1918. Two of these engines, nos. 2308 and 2542, were sold to the Ottoman (Aiden) Railways and renumbered 110 and 111. No 111 was withdrawn in September 1929, but 110 lasted until the 1950s. Of the 14 engines remaining at Salonika, six were written-off and the other eight returned to England in April 1921.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the War Department requisitioned 100 of these engines from the GWR and the GWR had to hastily reinstate some engines that had been recently withdrawn. The requisitioned engines were fitted with Westinghouse brakes and 10 were fitted with pannier tanks and condensing gear. All were painted black with their WD numbers painted on. In December 1940, the War Department requisitioned a further 8 engines.
At the time of the German invasion of France, 79 of these engines had been shipped to France. Some of the engines were destroyed in the retreat to Dunkirk whilst the remainder were used on the French railways by the German occupation forces. After the war, between 22 and 26 engines were sent to China under UNRRA auspices, and 30 were returned to the UK, but were deemed unfit for service and scrapped. No.2435 (WD no.188) was used in Silesia and then Austria until 1948 when it was claimed by the Russians before being handed back to the Austrians in 1952. Two further engines, nos. 2419 and 2526 (WD nos. 106 and 132) are known to have passed beyond the Iron Curtain. The remaining engines are assumed to have been scrapped.2538 There cannot have been many sections of the main line, or any branches of the Great Western which at one time or another were not the haunts of the Dean Goods 0-6-0s. After the absorption of the Cambrian Railways on 1923 members of the class were a daily sight at almost any station on that section of the system on both passenger and freight trains. The Mid-Wales line between Brecon and Moat Lane Junction used these engines until the last few years of their existence and it was not until the standard LMS small 2-6-0 was perfected and the new BR ‘78000’ class built that they disappeared from the scene. No.2538, the last survivor, makes hard work of a north-bound goods near Rhayader in 1951. J.F.Russell-Smith.
Of the engines that remained in England, most of them worked at War Department and Ordnance depots around the country, though in 1943, 6 were shipped to Tunisia and thence to Italy.
The last of the double-framed variety went in 1946, but in 1948 54 of the standard engines came into possession of the BR, and the last in service was No.2538, withdrawn in 1957. No. 2516 has been retained for preservation and is now at Swindon.2516 The now preserved Dean Goods No.2516 at Cleobury Mortimer, on the line through the Wyre Forest from Bewdley to Woofferton, one of the most scenic branches on the Worcestershire/Shropshire border. Regular passenger traffic was worked by Great Western type diesel cars for many years, but in July 1961 these ceased to operate and the service was cut to two trains per day, the morning and evening school train from Tenbury to Kidderminster, allowing the locomotive (a 57XX pannier tank) to work the branch goods between services. P.B.Whitehouse.
Driving wheels – 5’ 2”, Cylinders – 17”x24”, Pressure – 180lbs., Tractive effort – 17,120lbs., Weight – 36 tons 16 cwt.