Daily Archives: November 12, 2010

Webb Coal Tank 1054 – Latest News

1054 arriving at Hednesford – 14-4-1961

Barry Bull has recently found a leaflet asking for funds towards the cost of preserving this locomotive.  We offered it to the Bahamas Locomotive Society Ltd who are restoring the engine at their Ingrow Loco Museum on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire.  I’m pleased to say that they accepted the offer and sent us their latest press release about 1054, which is reproduced here.

From the Bahamas Locotive Society Ltd.

PRESS RELEASE                    4th November 2010

New Cylinders for LNWR Coal Tank

A new cylinder block has been fitted to the National Trust’s LNWR Coal Tank No.1054 by members of the Bahamas Locomotive Society. The block was lowered into the engine frames on Friday 29th October, the casting having been delivered to the BLS’s Ingrow Loco workshop on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway the day previous.

The new cylinder block was manufactured based on a Crewe drawing obtained from the Search Engine archive at the National Railway Museum at York.  The drawing, dated 1888 and thus the same age as 1054 itself, was also for used for the LNWR Special Tanks and DX Goods.

To aid the patternmaker in manufacturing the wood patterns and core boxes, a further drawing was prepared by the Society’s Engineering Manager, Steve Allsop, The patterns were produced at Forward Pattern Co of Aston, the casting was undertaken by Boro Foundry at Stourbridge, and the machining carried out at Multi-tech of Featherstone.  Steve Allsop commented, “It’s been an interesting project, and not just having the job done, but also meeting the various people involved to achieve the result.  It is both remarkable and pleasing that such work can still be achieved in the UK.”

 

Following the installation of the cylinder block, the boiler was lowered into place for trial fitting.  This 1921 LNWR boiler has been the subject of extensive repairs at the Ingrow workshop, and has included new half sides, throatplate and doorplate inserts to the steel outer firebox, as well as a new smokebox tubeplate.

Completion of the engine, which has benefited from funding by the Heritage Lottery Fund, is expected during the late Summer of 2011.

Additional Information

The LNWR Coal Tank was completed at the LNWR’s Crewe Works in 1888.  Withdrawn from service in 1939 the engine was returned to traffic following the outbreak of the Second World War, and was the last example of the 300-strong class, finally withdrawn in 1959.

The engine was saved by a group of enthusiasts headed by J M Dunn, former shedmaster of Bangor MPD, and was the first steam locomotive to be preserved in the UK by public subscription.

The engine was subsequently presented to the National Trust for display at Penrhyn Castle in North Wales.

Since 1973, the engine has been in the care of the Bahamas Locomotive Society, based at their Ingrow Loco Museum on the 5JR Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire.

NEW SOCIETY CHAIRMAN

Simon Bryant, who was elected  Chairman of the Bahamas Locomotive Society in 1974, handed over ‘the regulator’ to Mark Winderbank at the BLS’s AGM at Ingrow in June

Simon’s 36 years as Chairman included a very tumultuous period which involved the Society’s enforced departure from the old MS&L shed at Dinting and the transfer of its main artefacts to Ingrow Loco which became the new workshop and home of the Society from 1990 with strong support from the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

The BLS’s ‘Jubilee’ 45596 “BAHAMAS” moved to Dinting Railway Centre after its purchase and repair in 1967/68 and was subsequently joined there by several other engines thanks to the provision of undercover accommodation and DRC’s status as a ‘Return to Steam’ operating base.

 

Following the closure of the DRC, under Dr. Bryant’s leadership the Society established at Ingrow a visitor experience which became recognised nationally having been registered as an Accredited Museum by the Museum, Libraries & Galleries Commission. “BAHAMAS” is currently on view at the southern end of the KWVR inside Oxenhope Shed.

Dr. Bryant continues as a Committee Member & Director of the Bahamas Locomotive Society Ltd.

For further information, please contact John Hillier, the Society’s Press Officer

01572 747706 / 0771 200 3105 –  jrh@johnhillier.co.uk

Web sites: www.bahamas45596.co.uk and www.coaltank.co.uk

Trial fit of boiler

Photographs:  Copyright: Peter Skellon, 22 Windsor Street, Barrow in Furness.

LA14 4JR

Where it all started:

This excerpt was taken from the RPS Newsletter No.3.1 January – April 1961

From a letter to the owners in July 1963 from J.M.Dunn about the transfer to Penrhyn Castle, Bangor, North Wales.