Daily Archives: February 18, 2010

Chasewater Railway Museum July 1960 Bits & Pieces 11

Bits & Pieces No.11 – also taken from RPS Newsletter 2.1 July 1960

The Tutbury Jinny

http://www.burton-on-trent.org.ukIvatt ‘2MT’ 2-6-2T No.41277  was photographed at Tutbury being prepared for its return run to Burton at 4.37pm.  The Tutbury platform was graced by beautiful cat lamps, silent and watchful platform sentries, as the tank simmered peacefully at the rear of its little train.  The fireman would be separated from the company of his driver during the 5½ mile amble back to Burton.  Hugh Ballantyne

Report of ‘Tutbury Jinny’ Outing

A party of 24 RPS members and friends and 10 Stafford Railway Circle members attended the sentimental, last journey of ‘Tutbury Jinny’ on Saturday, 11th June 1960.  The party assembled at Burton Station and the train pulled out on time at 8.12 pm amid whistle blasts, bangs from detonators, punctuated by pleasant notes from a bugle.  The train made a record run down to Tutbury with lots of spectators lining the route.  The party de-trained at Tutbury, where a huge crowd awaited the final journey back.  The Booking Office did a roaring trade selling dog and cycle tickets and other various assortments being purchased by members.  The party crossed the line and watched the little push-pull train draw in, driving coach first.  It was noted that slogans were chalked all over the locomotive, including ribald remarks about Sir Brian.  Our President, Mr. C. E. Ives managed to have a few words with the MP for Burton, Mr. Jennings, who had championed the lost cause in the House of Commons.  Society members were rather disturbed in the fact of a party of interlopers called the 17 Club being present.  It appeared that these people were not railway enthusiasts.  In fact one of their members could not give an explanation as to who they were.  It appeared it was just some kind of gimmick.  The RPS did mot get the publicity hoped for in consequence.Most branch trains seem to pick up nicknames at some time or other, and the ‘Tutbury Jinny’ was no exception.  Once worked by Midland 0-4-4 tanks and latterly by LMS-type ‘1200’ class 2-6-2 tanks, the service was withdrawn after 11th June, 1960.  The 4.15pm Burton-on-Trent to Tutbury, headed by No. 41277, passes Stretton & Clay Mills station on 4th June.

The train left eventually at 8.55 pm amid cheers, tears, bangs whistles and factory hooters.  The gentleman with the bugle blowing the ‘Last Post’  The train pulled into Burton some 10 minutes later, spectators again lining the route all the way, and so ‘Tutbury Jinny’ came to her eventful and not inglorious end after 112 years’ service.

Date: 1894 – 1900 (c.)

Description: Opened in 1894 on the North Staffordshire Railway Company branch line between Tutbury and Burton-upon-Trent. It was named Rolleston on Dove to avoid confusion with Rolleston in Nottinghamshire. The name was first used for the whole parish in 1983.
The station was closed to passengers on 1 January 1949, and the line closed in 1968. The route of the track is now the Jinny Nature Trail, named after the local name for the train which used the track: the Tutbury Jinny.

Staffordshire Past Track

The Tutbury Jinny

The Tutbury Jinny was a little train serving the delightful country between Burton and Tutbury, a distance of some 5½ miles encompassing the catchment areas of the rivers Trent and Dove.  Intermediate stations served villages, farmsteads and cottages along the line’s sickle-shaped route.  The line initially headed east from Burton, before swinging north then north-west to Tutbury, with stations at Horninglow, Stretton & Clay Mills and Rolleston on Dove.

The service ran for over a century, commencing in 1848 and saw a considerable variety of motive power – North Stafford, LMS and BR – over the years.  The push-pull ‘Jinny’ was driven from the motor compartment of the end coach for the propelled return journey from Tutbury.  Although two coaches were the normal load, it was not unknown for the train to be formed of one or three coaches.  Final motive power came in the form of Ivatt tanks; the final train running on 11th June, 1960.  Tributes to mark the closure of the service were chalked all over No.41277.  The intermediate stations, closed on 1st January 1949 to regular traffic, came back to life as locals witnessed the passing of the final ‘Jinny’.  The ‘Jinny’ was an institution, its several daily journeys a ritual; now, alas, it is but a distant memory.

Advertisements

Chasewater Railway Museum July 1960 Bits & Pieces 10

From RPS Newsletter July 1960 Vol  2 No. 1

From the General Secretary’s Page

More Activity Wanted

You will read in the West Midland notes the present state of our first scheme to be launched.  From the enthusiasm of one member, David Ives, and a group of his friends and acquaintances has grown the reality of rolling stock being restored on a length of line which has been offered as temporary accommodation.  There is no reason why similar successes could not be recorded from most areas of dense population.  We have enough members in the South-East, North-West and North-East to make a start.

Well done the West Midland District – later to become Chasewater Railway.

West Midland District

Stafford – Uttoxeter Line.  Great Northern Railway

Date: 23 April 1957Description: The Stephenson Locomotive Society (Midland Area) ran the last train on the Uttoxeter to Stafford line on 1957. The locomotive is seen here arriving at Stowe-by-Chartley Station with 200 railway enthusiasts on board.

The line was opened in December 1867 by the Stafford-Uttoxeter Railway Company. Nineteen years later the company folded and the line was sold to the Great Northern Company.

Passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1939, but the line was kept open for milk traffic. The high cost of maintenance proved too expensive and the line closed in 1951, having never shown a profit. It was broken up in 1959.

Staffordshire Past Track – Pic & Info

This was one of the lines under consideration as a running line for the WMD.

Date: 1920 – 1930 (c.)

Description: Stafford Common Railway Station was built in 1867, to serve the Stafford-Uttoxeter line.

The station closed to passengers in 1939, but continued to carry freight. It closed completely in the 1970s.

Staffordshire Past Track – Pic & Info

16 members of the West Midland District walked along the Great Northern Railway disused branch line from Chartley to Stafford on Sunday, 27th March.  Members assembled at Stafford Station and were taken by car to Chartley.  Our President, Mr. C. E. Ives, although not being able to take part in the walk, very kindly took members to the starting point.  A considerable number of photographs were taken en route for record purposes, as demolition of this line had already begun.  Very keen interest was shown in station buildings at Chartley, Ingestre and Weston and Salt.  Hopton cutting was duly noted as a great work of civil engineering, a tribute to the railway navvies of the 1860s.  The walk finished at Stafford Common Station (part of which is still worked by BR) where a welcome cup of tea brewed by Mr. A. Holden was much appreciated by all.  A special note must be made concerning one of our very enthusiastic members, Vice President Mr. J. Strong of Hereford, who stayed overnight in Stafford in order to take part.

Stowe and Chartley Station looking neglected. Note the two lines merging in the distance and the crossover in the foreground. Photo Hixon Local History Society.

.Unlike The building on the left was not demolished and was still there in 1990 and 1991 when we walked there. It now has been completely restored and has been moved to the Amerton Railway nearby.
Jan en Fons

Aug 7, 2008 9:52 PM

Depot

The West Midland District Depot has been kindly offered to us by our President Mr. C. E. Ives as temporary accommodation until a branch line has been acquired.  It is situated at Penkridge Engineering Co., Chase Works, Rugeley Road, Hednesford, Staffs.  This can be reached from Cannock along the Rugeley Road and from Rugeley along the Hednesford Road and is adjacent to Messrs. Bestmore Drop Forgings Ltd.

The depot consists of approx. 150 yards of siding with access to BR and NCB sidings.  Good covered space covers approx 50 yards of the track.  Members have already been advised of times of working parties, etc. and will continue to get these each month through the summer.  Negotiations are going ahead for the acquisition of two six-wheeled coaches, a full 3rd Maryport & Carlisle Railway and a full brake Great Eastern Railway.  It is hoped to have these under our covered space by the time this Newsletter reaches you.

More hands wanted at Hednesford

On June 3rd the Honorary Yardmaster, Albert Holden, gave a talk on the practical side of track maintenance to a group of members.  He expressed disappointment at the turnout of members and pointed out that work was being carried out by a small proportion of members.  If they did not get the support of more members they could become discouraged and work cease altogether.

It is the declared intention of the WMD to lease or purchase a line and run its own services.  But this needs a reservoir of skilled members and a strong organisation.  This depot gives us a chance to introduce all members to the technical side of maintenance of rolling stock and permanent way.  If full use is made of it, we shall have a reliable band of voluntary workers who can restore a line to serviceable condition in the shortest possible time.

The future of railway preservation in the West Midlands is in your hands.  Let’s all pull together and show the rest of the RPS how to run a branch line!

Stop Press

The first two coaches were moved in Hednesford depot at 9.45 am on Wednesday, 22nd June 1960.  How about coming along and helping with their restoration?