Maryport & Carlisle Railway Coach
Shown here after restoration in the 1970s.
Built in 1875 by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon works.
This six wheel, five compartment coach is believed to be the only remaining vehicle of the Maryport & Carlisle Railway.
It was sold out of main line service about 1922 to the Cannock& Rugeley Colliery Co. to form part of the ‘Paddy Train’ to ferry miners from Hednesford to the Cannock Wood pit.
Maryport & Carlisle Railway
The Maryport & Carlisle Railway was incorporated in 1837, and absorbed into the London, Midland & Scottish (LMS) Railway as from 1/1/1923.
The mainline from Maryport to Carlisle was completed in February 1845. The line was 42 miles long, 28 miles of which was double track.
Among the rolling stock were 31 locos, 51 carriages and 1404 goods wagons.