Manchester Sheffield & Lincoln Railway Carriage
This six wheel Composite Brake Coach was built in 1890 at Gorton.
The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln Railway became part of the Great Central Railway connecting it to London (Marylebone) at about the turn of the century, and later became the L.N.E.R.
The carriage was used on the line near York known as the “Easingwold Light Railway” until retired in 1949, and then left on a siding to suffer the effects of the weather.
The Railway Preservation Society rescued the coach in the 1960s and stored it for restoration.
This vehicle came to Chasewater and is at present under restoration following an internal fire.
MS & L Coach at Easingwold with J72 Class loco, 1947/48
Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln Railway
The Company was first formed in 1847 as the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln Railway to run services from New Holland (Lincs.) to Hull.
On its extension to London in 1899 it became the Great Central Railway. It gave a good service to London for such places as Nottingham, Loughborough, Leicester and Rugby.
The line ran from Annesley North Junction to Quainton Road, and from Harrow to London – Marylebone.