North British 0-4-0 Diesel Hydraulic
Engine MAN-NBL 330 hp
Weight 36 tonnes, axle load 18 tonnes
Works Number – 27876
This locomotive was built by NBL in 1959, one of a batch of 17, 14 of which entered service with British railways and were subsequently scrapped in 1967.
This particular machine one of the remaining three sold to the National Coal Board, order number L96, and was delivered to Haydock Colliery.
In November 1963 it was transferred to parsonage Colliery and then moved to Parkside Colliery in late 1964.
in late 1970/early 1971 it returned to Parsonage where it stayed until June 1975 when it moved to Walkden yard.
By 1978, the locomotive had moved again, this time to Whithaven, William Pit where it carried the running number D5.
Being a well travelled engine, it returned to Walkden in April 1979 for a full overhaul and then returned to Whitehaven
The machine was then taken for preservation by the Derwent Railway Society (Whitehaven) where it was painted in LNER green livery.
The history and whereabouts in the 1980’s are lost, but the engine was subsequently re-purchased by the now-named British Coal when it was fully overhauled and used at the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum.
On the closure of the CWMM in 1993, it was purchased by the Nottingham Sleeper Co in Worksop, where it remained until 1999 where it entered private ownership and was stored on a private site in Uttoxeter.
In January 2007, the locomotive was purchased by a member of the Chasewater Light Railway where it now resides. The locomotive has just finished a brief restoration period and is now in running condition, painted in the original British Railways Brunswick green and renumbered D2911.