A bit more normality today, as far as the Museum is concerned. Access across the level-crossing, a lot more visitors came to see us. We’re still trying to find out what’s happening next week for Asbestos’ birthday but, considering that it’s been advertised in our leaflets all year, still nobody knows. Fortunately, there does seem to be glimmer of light appearing at the end of the tunnel!
Another of our ‘great unknowns’ is – how much of the line will be available? I dare say we can cope next week, but it’s only 3 weeks till our big 50th Anniversary Gala Celebration with 6 engines in steam – we’ve got to have somewhere to run them!
Talking about the Gala, as mentioned elsewhere, a visiting steam loco is coming to run on the Narrow Gauge, and a new platform has been built for the occasion.
Our congratulations to a couple of our more mature members for erecting the fencing and covering a mutitude of sins – its not just the canal that’s ‘curly-whirly’! If you had seen the wall when it was built, you would understand!!!
Andrew Barclay, Sons and Co. Ltd 0-4-0ST 1223/1911
Built by Andrew Barclay, Sons and Co. Ltd. Of Kilmarnock, Scotland for their customer Colin McAndrew, contractors.
Ex works as No.1223 on 14/3/1911 the loco worked on a job building accommodation at Redford Military Barracks, Edinburgh, eventually moving on when sold to Tharsis Sulphur and Copper Works, Hebburn-on-Tyne in June 1915. By 1939 the little engine had been sold again, this time to N. Greening (Wireworks), Warrington.
In July 1966 the loco was acquired for preservation and restored at a member’s premises in Hixon, Staffs, before coming to Chasewater in September 1968.
When, eventually, its boiler certificate expired, a replacement was sought.
A replacement boiler was sourced in donor loco 2343 and has been repaired and passed its hydraulic test at West Coast Railway’s Carnforth workshops. 2343, also known as British Gypsum No.4, was been brought to Chasewater, and the boiler put into Colin McAndrew, which is now back in steam after many years and a great deal of work.
Bagnall 0-4-0ST 2648/1941.
Cylinders 14 1/2 “x 22″, wheels 3’6 1/2″, Weight 28 tons.
First of a batch of 9 supplied to the Ministry of Supply for use in Royal Ordnance Factories. It was based on a standard Bagnall design which dated from about 1900. The cylinder diameter was increased by 1/2 ” to meet a Ministry performance specification. It worked at Burghfield, near Reading until 1957 when it moved to Rotherwas, Hereford.
Soon afterwards it was sold to plant dealers, Fred Watkins (Boilers) Ltd. of Coleford, Gloucs. Until this time it had been oil-fired but Watkins fitted the coal fired boiler from sister loco No.2653, which Watkins had also purchased, before selling it to Dunlop Rubber Co. Ltd., of Birmingham in 1965, where it carried No.6.
Purchased for preservation in November 1971 and initially stored at Hinckley until 12th June 1983 when it was moved to Shackerstone. In spite of its small size, it proved a very useful engine, particularly on shorter trains. Rejoined the working fleet on 7th October 2006 after overhaul.
Came to Chasewater Railway in late January,2008.
Peckett 0-6-0ST 2000/1942.
One of the maker’s B3 class with two outside cylinders 14” diameter x 20” stroke.
Delivered new to British Sugar Corporation Ltd., Nottingham Factory, Colwick, working here until 1955 when sent back to its Bristol manufacturers for repair. On completion of the repair work the loco was dispatched to the Ipswich factory of the BSC, remaining there until entering preservation, initially at the Nene Valley Railway, Peterborough in 1977.Nowadays Peckett 2000 is more usually found at its new home at Barrow Hill, near Chesterfield but sometimes hired out to other railways.
It is expected this well-proportioned loco will remain at Chasewater for about 3 months.
Photo from staffspasttrack, taken at Cannock Wood.
A Hunslet 0-6-0ST Austerity class, 3839/1956
Built by Hunslet of Leeds, Wimblebury was delivered new to the National Coal Board at Cannock Wood Colliery near Hednesford in Staffordshire, and worked there until withdrawn in the early 1970s. Originally earmarked for spares for another engine, Wimblebury was purchased privately for preservation and moved to the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire on 26th September 1973.
This is the second visit to Chasewater by this popular engine in recent years.
Photo: Alisdair Chisholm
The first steam loco to visit the Chasewater Railway Narrow Gauge.
Taffy is an 0-4-0VBT VC engine, a reproduction De Winton, 30/1990, built by the Alan Keef Ltd. company in Ross-on-Wye.
The Limited Company was formed in 1975 at Cote, Bampton, Oxon, continuing what Alan Keef had already been doing for some years as an individual. In 1986 the company moved to larger premises at Lea Line, Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire.
Built by F.C.Hibberd & Co. No.1612/1929.
New to Worthington & Co. Ltd. Breweries, Burton-on-Trent as their No.10. Some of its duties replaced horses which were used previously.
Originally built with a 40hp Dorman petrol engine, but later fitted with a diesel engine.
Worthington & Co. merged with the Bass brewing company and the loco was renumbered 21 in the pooled fleet.
Sold to the Railway Preservation Society in July 1967.
This loco saw a good deal of use until at least the late 1970s.
North British 0-4-0 Diesel Hydraulic
Engine MAN-NBL 330 hp
Weight 36 tonnes, axle load 18 tonnes
Works Number – 27876
This locomotive was built by NBL in 1959, one of a batch of 17, 14 of which entered service with British railways and were subsequently scrapped in 1967.
This particular machine one of the remaining three sold to the National Coal Board, order number L96, and was delivered to Haydock Colliery.
In November 1963 it was transferred to parsonage Colliery and then moved to Parkside Colliery in late 1964.
in late 1970/early 1971 it returned to Parsonage where it stayed until June 1975 when it moved to Walkden yard.
By 1978, the locomotive had moved again, this time to Whithaven, William Pit where it carried the running number D5.
Being a well travelled engine, it returned to Walkden in April 1979 for a full overhaul and then returned to Whitehaven
The machine was then taken for preservation by the Derwent Railway Society (Whitehaven) where it was painted in LNER green livery.
The history and whereabouts in the 1980’s are lost, but the engine was subsequently re-purchased by the now-named British Coal when it was fully overhauled and used at the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum.
On the closure of the CWMM in 1993, it was purchased by the Nottingham Sleeper Co in Worksop, where it remained until 1999 where it entered private ownership and was stored on a private site in Uttoxeter.
In January 2007, the locomotive was purchased by a member of the Chasewater Light Railway where it now resides. The locomotive has just finished a brief restoration period and is now in running condition, painted in the original British Railways Brunswick green and renumbered D2911.
This is a Hunslet 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic locomotive, 35tons, Rolls-Royce C6SFL supercharged engine producing 233 HP.
It was supplied new 26-2-69 to NCB Maryport Solway, Industrial Locmotive Society notes indicate that the loco went from Maryport to Widdington stores Northumberland 03-1981. Then to Bennerley, Notts 03-1982, a further move to Wentworth stores, South Yorks 01-1984.
After this, the loco became part of the Shropshire Collection in 02-1992 and later was sold and journeyed to Somerset. A Chasewater member purchased the loco and brought it to Brownhills. The current owners purchased the loco in October 2005 and completed the restoration in 2006.
This 0-4-0DM locomotive was fitted with a Gardener 4L3 diesel engine and developed 85 HP @1000 RPM
The loco was designed jointly by Messrs Baguley and Bass & Co., Burton on Trent in 1939. It was delivered to Bass & Co. in the December and was numbered 5 in the Bass loco fleet. It was the first diesel shunter the brewery owned and gave good service throughout its working life with Bass & Co., although it was considered too small for the normal shunting and trip work. It worked for the grain department for most of the time, hauling pumping machinery around the maltings.
It was fitted with a two speed Baguley gearbox and weighed around 15 tons. The loco originally carried the Company’s famous ‘Turkey Red’ livery lined out with black and straw lining. However, from 1964 onwards it was painted into a lighter shade of ’Worthington’ blue with red lining.
It had a complete overhaul in Baguley’s works in 1957, all other minor repair work was carried out in Bass’ own workshops.
The loco was sold to the Honourable John Gretton in 1967 when Bass closed its entire railway system and went over to road haulage. It was moved to the GW society at Didcot on 31st August 1968. It spent a few years at Didcot before moving to Flying Scotsman Enterprises at Market Overton in Leicestershire where it kept 4472 ‘Flying Scotsman’ and 4079 ‘Pendennis Castle’ company.
Sir William McAlpine had connections with the loco and in March 1975, following another rebuild at Baguley’s works, it was moved to Bill McAlpine’s private railway at Fawley Green in Bucks. It spent a few years here before moving to Carnforth some time between 1984 and 1987. It was sold to the Shropshire Collection and moved there in early 1992. The loco was stored outside at the SLS for 10 years, the bodywork and engine paying a heavy price for being out in the open. Bass No.5 was sold again in 2001 and moved to the Yeovil Junction site of the Somerset & Dorset Locomotive Co.Ltd. where a start on restoration was made. The by now heavily stripped loco was purchased by a Chasewater member and moved to the railway on the 21st of that month.
Restoration started in mid-January 2004 with the complete stripping of the original Gardner 4L3 and replacement of heavily damaged cylinders, etc. Fortunately, most of the parts for the engine are still available and all the damaged or missing parts have now been replaced and rebuilt and the loco’s engine recommissioned.
Work has also been underway on the body; the loco’s saving grace has been its original over-engineered design, most of the platework is quarter inch plate, so, even when the rust is removed, there is still a lot of steel left!
The loco will be returned to traffic in her 1939 livery of Bass, Ratcliffe and Gretton ‘Turkey Red’ with full lining and polished brasswork as per the original 1958 colour photo.
The pictures show No. 5 working at the Bass Brewery and in restored condition at Chasewater.