- Ecclesbourne Valley Railway – Wirksworth Commemorates 1914: Secretary of State Visits
- Canal News – Banbury Floating Market, Linocut exhibition at Audlem Mill, IWA Shrewsbury District Lock Wind
- 272 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces From Chasewater News – Spring 2004 Part 5 – MR Crane & Narrow Gauge
- Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Helston Railway
- Chasewater Railway’s Former Stock – Travelling Post Office
- Canal News
- Chasewater Diesel Locos
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
- Chasewater Steam Locos
- Classic Streamliners
- Foreign Lines
- Industrial Steam Loco Manufacturers
- Miniature Railways
- Miscellaneous Railways
- Model Railways
- Museum Collection
- Narrow Gauge
- Railway Companies
- Railway Miscellany
- Some Early Lines
- Steam Locomotive Classes of a Leisurely Era
- Visitors – Past & Present
August 2014 M T W T F S S « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
272 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces From Chasewater News – Spring 2004 Part 5 – MR Crane & Narrow Gauge
Travelling Post Office
Anyone who has been reading this blog may have noticed, in ‘Bits & Pieces’ in the 1970s and early 80s, the mention of a Travelling Post Office (TPO). Our museum curator has recently acquired a book for the museum’s reference library – ‘An Illustrated History of the Travelling Post Office’ in which the Railway Preservation Society’s purchase is mentioned. It was bought for £200 and housed at Hednesford, later being transferred to Chasewater and sold in 1983 for £1,000,
Built in 1909, London & North Western No.20 was renumbered 9520 by the LNWR and 3227 and 30244 by the LMS. The latter number, allocated in 1933, lasted until the vehicle was withdrawn in 1961. It was used on the Irish services until 1940 and its apparatus was removed in 1945.
After withdrawal it was acquired by the Railway Preservation Society, Hednesford, Staffordshire, where it housed the small relics collection, and later moved to Chasewater. In 1983 it was sold to the Birmingham Railway Museum, Tyseley, which in turn sold it to the Royal Mail Museum in 1999. It has been overhauled and had its apparatus restored, and in 2007 was put on display at the Crewe Heritage Centre.
It is currently at the Nene Valley Railway, Peterborough.
There is another post following this one with more information about TPOs and more photos of the former CLR vehicle.